THE BGB LOWDOWN…
- Brittany Lincicome and Kelly Tan both shot 67s to take the early lead after day one of the KPMG Women’s PGA Championship.
- The field had to contest with windy conditions at the Aronimink Golf Club.
- Lincicome rebounded from a missed cut at last week’s ShopRite LPGA Classic to trade four birdies with a solitary bogey on Thursday.
- Tan who has yet to break into the top-30 at a Major, reached the turn at -4 but was left to rue a pair of bogeys on the journey home.
- Danielle Kang, Lydia Ko, Gabby Lopez, Carlota Ciganda, Linnea Strom and Cydney Clanton made up a log-jam a stroke back on two-under.
- Eight of the last nine LPGA majors have been captured by players who had never won a major, including Sophia Popov at the AIG Women’s Open in August and Mirim Lee at the ANA Inspiration in September.
- Jasmine Suwannapura and Pajaree Anannarukarn ended the day as the leading Thai players.
- Jasmine, who finished runner-up at the AIA Women’s Open, traded two birdies with two bogeys to sign for a level par 70, three off the leading duo in a tie for 13th.
- Pajaree ended up with the same score, but rode a virtual rollercoaster to get there, rolling in four birdies, a bogey and a double.
- Patty Tavatanakitanakit and Moriya Jutanugarn carded two-over 72s to take a share of 40th position.
- Pornanong Phatlum and Ariya Jutanugarn finished the day a shot further back on three-over after recording matching 73s.
- Wichanee Meechai ended in a tie for 73rd on four-over par.
QUOTES OF THE DAY…